.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Beekman Place

"...[A]nd I knew I was safe."

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Too Dependent on Maricopa

Bought tickets online to go see “Brokeback Mountain.” The annoying part is that we’re gonna have to drive up to Scottsdale to see it. No matter. I really want to see it, and it’s not going to be in Tucson until the middle of. At least it’s coming. It will, of course, be playing at The Loft when it gets here, because, I’m sure, none of the chains will touch it.
Tucson’s a pretty damn liberal place, especially for Arizona, but it is still pretty damn provincial in a lot of ways. Don’t get me wrong, I love me my Tucson a whole bunch and there’s not any other place that I’d want to live (that I could afford, anyway). I told a friend a while back that the scenery is such that you are constantly reminded that there are powers greater than mere mortals, and that alone is enough to keep me here. But we’re also a liberal city in a liberal county in a state that’s not too terribly liberal. And we’re not quiet about our politics, we talk about it, we get involved, we get our asses out on the street when it’s time to do so, and we’re usually pretty quick about tossing our crooks out of office (unlike Arizona as a whole). Then there’s the music scene, which is pretty decent for a city this size (yeah, we gave you Linda Rondstadt, but I like to think we made up for it with these guys and these guys too) (awright, there’s us guys too, shameless whores that we are).
Yet, yet, yet… the town rolls up the sidewalks early, unless you’re into bar-hopping, and I don’t get to do that anymore. We’re not on the itinerary of most touring bands (to be sure, there are always exceptions). We don’t really have any good record stores (although in this wonderful world full of internets, that’s not as big a deal as it once was). And, as I alluded to earlier, there’s only one theater that dares show pictures that aren’t sanitized for your protection.
And, we’re not gonna get us any “Brokeback Mountain” until January.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home